Thursday 19 May 2011

Exegesis

Why blog?
Blog, this term existed in my life when I studied Form 2 in high school. There were a few friends of mine played blog that time. I didn’t have a chance to create one because that time what I had in my study room was just a Desktop without any Internet service provider. During my Form 3, my dad bought back a laptop for me, but still without an Internet service provider, creating a blog was impossible. Thank to the arising of the use of broadbands, finally I have chance to create my own Window Messenger account, Facebook account and of course BLOG! But things didn’t go smoothly, my friends recommended me to use blogspot, instead of blogspot I accidently sign up in different blog platform that I didn’t really know how to use it. Meanwhile with the guidance of one of my friends, I finally had my own blogspot account. I posted notes on it but I didn’t know how to let people to see my blog, I didn’t know how to leave comments on people blogs and I didn’t know there were gadgets provided. The worst part is, since I seldom log into my blog, I completely forget my password. I admit, I was such a computer idiot that time. I gave up at last, instead of playing blog I more prefer Facebook. Things have actually changed after I have attended Web Communication lesson in University. After experience a few failure when using blog, I hope to try it again since I have mastered the basic knowledge about blogs, due to the above reasons, as a result I have chosen blog for my web presence. 


Blogspot instead of Wordpress 


Before I start my topic, I have done some research on the differences between blogspot and wordpress. It seems that, both of them have their own values. Wordpress allows for easier customization and, continues to be an industry standard; Blogspot, on the other hand is part of Google's suite of products--which means compatibility with other Google products like Gmail and Youtube are simple. All in all, wordpress is the best option for a company blog, while either would be a suitable pick for users looking to start personal options. Well, wordpress provides users with more theme choices and a load of plugins can be applied on blog but since blogspot is easier to jump in as a beginner and get started, at last I have chosen to use blogspot. 


The way I choose template for my blog 

As we know, templates play an important part in a blog because it helps readers realize what blog they are reading right off the bat with only the visuals. Besides, templates also make our blog more functional. Aside from providing a cosmetic advantage, templates also add a bit of utility to our site. Since most of these templates are easily customizable, we can choose to incorporate add-ons to improve the functionality of our blog. There are 15 new, highly-customizable templates from the design team, split into four families: Simple, Picture Window, Awesome Inc, and Watermark and one-, two-, and three-column layouts for each template, with complete control over the size and arrangement of the columns. Hundreds of background images and patterns from iStockphoto, the leading microstock image marketplace. Actually, there are still pretty much free templates which we can download but I have chosen to use the Watermark template with two-column layouts because I think the combination of both the template with the layout are simple, neat and systematic but not in a robotic manner. I always like things that are arranged very systematically but not so in a robotic sequence. While for the background image, since I could not find any suitable one from it, I downloaded the chocolates image from Google Images as my background and I chose chocolate colour as my background colour since I’m doing topic about chocolates.


What do I use? 

Being part of the Web 2.0 tools, social networking has come to play a very important role in determining how problems are solved, how organizations are run, and the efficiency with which individuals succeed in achieving their goals. There are a few reasons why social networking sites are very popular:

1. They are free to use.

2. They help us get in touch with those people whom we no longer meet in our everyday life and even get to know people who we never meet before.

3. They are easy to use, and contain lots of features for instance, we can play games, upload videos, share notes, photos and videos, chat with your friends etc.

Over the years the popularity of email, instant messaging and virtual communities has grown to the point where millions of people rely on these tools in order to maintain and nurture social connections, but now it seems that social networking such as Facebook and Twitter have eventually take over control.

Base on the reasons above, I have used Facebook, Twitter and Delicious as my social network tools to communicate with others. In the side column, I have also included a space where readers can subscribe to my posts by mail or bookmark my page with RSS. I added “Follow by email” gadget as to enable readers to follow my blog by email me in a very easy way. As you scroll down, they can find out the recent posts I have posted. It would give the readers a rough description to them about my topics. I also added in the “Total Pageviewers” and “Followers” gadgets which display the total of readers visited my blog and who actually followed my blog. The “HTML/JavaScript” gadget allows me to add in third-party functionality to my blog such as “Music Playlist at MixPod.com” and the chat box. Readers can listen to music while reading my blog, besides leaving comments below my posts, readers can also leave comments or chat with me using the chat box. There is also Newreel included at the bottom that automatically add current headlines from Google News.





References:
1.Author, G. (2011, April 30). Free Blog Templates and Why They are Important. Retrieved May 1, 2011, from iblogaholic: http://iblogaholic.com/27871/free-blog-templates-and-why-they-are-important/
2.Guha, R. (2011, April 20). What differences exist between wordpress.com and blogspot.com? Retrieved April 28, 2011, from quora.com: http://www.quora.com/What-differences-exist-between-wordpress-com-and-blogspot-com
3.HASAN. (2008, March 22). Popularity of Social Networking. Retrieved May 2, 2011, from dirjournal: http://www.dirjournal.com/articles/popularity-of-social-networking/
4.The Blogger Template Designer. (2010, March 11). Retrieved May 1, 2011, from blogspot.com: http://bloggerindraft.blogspot.com/2010/03/blogger-template-designer.html













No comments:

Post a Comment